12 Best Lawn Mower For Small Yard-2020 Review
For your lawn maintenance, a lawnmower is an essential device for your garden. If you want to have a clean and perfect yard, a lawnmower is the best solution. There are many lawnmowers available in the market.
But after our extensive research, we found Greenworks 17-Inch 40V Cordless Lawn Mower best for small yeard. Sun Joe MJ401C-PRO is also a better choice if you consider overall performance. We reviewed ten best lawn mower for a small yard. We take into consideration price, effectiveness, durability and overall performance during our review.
- 1 Top Lawn Mower For Small Yard
- 2 1. Greenworks Cordless Lawn Mower
- 3 2. Sun Joe MJ401C-PRO
- 3.1 3. WORX WG960 40-Volt 20-inch Cordless Lawn Mower
- 3.2 4. EGO Power cordless lawn mower
- 3.3 5. Greenworks Twin Force Cordless Lawn Mower
- 3.4 6.American Lawn Mower Company 50514
- 3.5 7. Black cordless lawn mower + 16 inch 40 Volt deck
- 3.6 8. Cordless lawn mower Snapper XD
- 3.7 9. Sun Joe Cordless Brushless Motor Lawn Mower
- 3.8 10. Ryobi Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower
- 3.9 11. Worx 14 inch 40 Volt Cordless Lawn Mower
- 3.10 12. DEWALT 2 x 20 Volt Cordless battery Cordless lawn mower
- 4 What is a manual mower?
- 5 How does the manual lawn mower work?
- 6 How to choose a manual mower ?
- 7 But what are the advantages of the manual mower ? ?
- 8 How to sharpen a manual mower blade?
- 9 How was the test carried out?
- 10 What are the important criteria for choosing a hand mower ?
Top Lawn Mower For Small Yard
1. Greenworks Cordless Lawn Mower
At the top of our lawnmower list, Greenworks comes first for its efficiency and durability. Greenworks runs on electric, a cordless lawnmower. It has 40V Lithium Battery System. Lightweight yet extremely powerful. In the USA, 34% house lawn cleaned in one go. You don’t need to spend extra money on large, heavy-duty lawnmowers if you have a small yard.
The mower works perfectly for mulching. Easy to change mulching basket and easy to use. Many people in the USA have the wrong notion that you need 5HP Gas-powered lawnmower to mow the grass. It’s time to accept the fact, cordless electric lawn mower as productive as gas-powered lawnmowers.
This lawnmower has a sturdy built quality yet elegant looking. You can change the height with one control. In your first grass mow, you would be amazed at how much grass it can catch in a bag. It cuts grass precisely in most uneven lawns. After cleaning your yard with Greenwork lawnmower, you will feel like a barbershop; everything is smooth and clean.
If you never used an electric-powered lawn mower, here are few thoughts that might help you to understand. An electric lawnmower is easy to use compared to a gas-powered one. The weight is much lighter, and you would experience less vibration and noise. It takes less time to start. You don’t need to spend extra money on stuff like fuel, air filter or tuneups. You need to learn adjusting cords, that’s it. It may take some time to get used to it.
Some users find difficulty in mower cleaning and clipping. The lithium battery will reduce performance if the battery remains unchanged for a couple of weeks. So, to run your mower correctly, you need to charge the battery every few weeks.
- Lightweight yet sturdy elegant built
- Mow grass precisely in an uneven surface
- Provides less vibration and quiet
- Difficult cleaning and clipping
- Battery performance reduced if remain uncharged
2. Sun Joe MJ401C-PRO
Sun Joe Cordless Push Lawn Mower is a perfect choice for small to medium lawns. This Electric powered lawn mower has durable steel blades. Sun Joe famous for cutting grass with excellent precession. It can reduce 14 inches wide path in a single pass. In a single charge, it can mow up to quarter acre.
Many house owners with a small height find gas-powered lawnmowers extremely hard to operate. Gas powers mowers take hours to start. Sun Joe cordless lawnmower overcome all the shortcomings of gas-powered lawnmowers. Sun Joe lawn mower is highly operatable and easy to push.
Sun Joe lawnmower takes only five minutes to assemble. It starts immediately with the push of a button. This Sun Joe mower went through 90% of the thicker weeds without even auto-selecting a higher power setting. No matter how long grass is in your yard, it will mow your grass like a boss. Your lawn cleaning is done without any sweat.
Fourteen inches size makes it easy to store after your business. It lasts longer than thirty minutes. This mower is so light you can run with it and maneuver around corners and seedlings. It is so lightweight that you will feel no fatigue after mowing. Even your children can run it without any difficulties. For a regular lawnmower, it is impossible to do.
One quick and useful tips for you, when it kicks into high gear, turn it off and clean it out right away, or you will drain the battery faster.
It shut down suddenly without any warning, many users claimed it. Apart from all the positive features, this gives a downvote to this lawnmower.
- Easy to store after use
- Can cut thick weeds with procession
- Extremely easy to use and handle
- It may shut down suddenly after a few months
- Clipping needs to change frequently
3. WORX WG960 40-Volt 20-inch Cordless Lawn Mower
Enjoy the rewarding experience of harnessing the powers of this two-in-one combination lawn mower. The WORX WG960 20-inch 40V Cordless Lawn Mower operates on the combined power of two batteries providing 20V each.
These 5.0AH Li-ion batteries improve the silent operation of this electric mower and keep it running for a long period of time. The cordless mower and blower turbine work to level out hardy, overgrown shrubs and grass while cleaning up clutter with ease right after.
Thanks to an innovative patented feature, Intellicut, it delivers improved torque when needed while maintaining adequate battery power on the job site. The lawn mower is also ergonomically designed to prevent the working height from straining hands, shoulders or back.
And immediately after use, it can be stored in a space-saving upright position in your garage. The turbine fan, on the other hand, is equipped with a 20 V battery which operates at a speed of 60/75 mph.
It is light enough to be handled with one hand and efficient enough to powerfully blow the grass and leaves into a pile. With these two electric cleaners, make the most of every lawn mowing session.
- The single lever that allows you to adjust the cutting height
- Two 20V batteries
- 3-in-1 rear discharge
- Light turbine Power turbine
- Brand WORX
- Model WG960
- Device weight 58 pounds
4. EGO Power cordless lawn mower
Our best choice among all cordless lawnmowers is the EGO Power + and its 20-inch, 56-volt rechargeable lithium-ion lawnmower.
It’s an awesome machine that puts gas mowers to shame and is quiet enough to get out as early in the morning as you want without waking up the neighbors.
It is easy to use and fun to use while providing great results you can count on anytime. The battery life is strong, and its LED headlights are an excellent feature that allows you to mow whenever you want.
It is filled with excellent benefits that will easily change the allegiance of those who are skeptical of electric mowers, making them fully-fledged in no time. Don’t forget to also check out our list of the best robotic lawn mowers for other items like this.
- Compatible with all EGO power + arc lithium batteries.
- Weather resistant construction
- Folds easily for compact storage
- 3-in-1 rear discharge
- EGO Power +brand
- Device weight56.2 pounds
- Dimensions37.4 x 21.6 x 16.1 inches
- Super silent
- Push to start function
- The height of the bridge can be changed using a single lever
- Poor design of clip chute
- Front doesn’t approach as close as you’d like
- May struggle with thicker grass
5. Greenworks Twin Force Cordless Lawn Mower
This Greenworks Twin Force Cordless Electric Lawn Mower is a great way to keep the upper hand on smaller lawns and its battery ensures you get the job done every time.
It is light and compact, which makes it comfortable to maneuver without the need for a cord, and easy to store when not in use.
The two blades of the mower are robust enough to handle thick grass without putting too much pressure on the battery life, and its Smart Cut technology can determine the amount of energy required for sufficient mowing.
Another great feature is that push button start which completely removes the painful memories of ripping off the power train just to get your older mowers started.
- The 40-volt G-Max ion battery powers several tools.
- Smart cutting technology
- Two blades for better cut quality
- Ideal mower for medium-sized surfaces
- Weight42.5 pounds
- Dimensions29.2 x 20.7 x 19.5 inches
- All equipment is light and easy to maneuver.
- Instant start and stop
- Robust and durable material
- Slight equipment learning curve
- Control of thick and broad grass with broad blade
- No self propulsion option
6.American Lawn Mower Company 50514
This American Lawn Mower Company 50514 comes with not one but two batteries to ensure that you will never be without power and that you can mow your lawn in one session.
From a land perspective, this cordless lawn mower is a product of ideal size for small and medium sized lawns that leave the battery in reserve, and has an easy ignition function to allow you to start and operate in no time.
To make things easier, you can put it all together in just 10 minutes (or have the kids do it, they’re the ones who will be using it after all).
The leveling system lets you tackle all kinds of grass, blades with clean blades of the jungle, while providing a clean and clean cut every time. If you like smart devices, be sure to also check out our review on smart devices for the home.
- The mower uses two 40 volt batteries (4aH and 2aH) that are easy to remove and provides an LED battery monitor.
- 3-in-1 side discharge / mulch / rear bag options easy to set up
- Comfortable ergonomic handle with cushion handle
- Easy assembly without tools
- BrandFrom the terrestrial point of view
- Device weight53 pounds
- Dimensions52 x 22 x 22 x 43 inches
- Easy ignition system
- Long-lasting batteries
- Lightweight and easy to steer
- Will have difficulty mulching in some areas.
- The front frame has a slight forward curved lip that picks up the grass.
- Fight through the thicker grass
7. Black cordless lawn mower + 16 inch 40 Volt deck
A small electric lawn mower has 6 different height settings and can handle most types of grass it encounters.
New lithium-ion batteries provide 33% more power on a single charge than previous models, making it an excellent battery mower for those looking to upgrade.
BLACK + DECKER has the skills to tackle the most rugged terrain in the neighborhood and has no problem conquering hilly and weed areas as if they were the most flat areas in the world.
If the grass becomes too long or too wet, it is easy to increase the cutting height for simple and comfortable mowing. The mower is a purchase that will last a long time and will be by your side (or in front of you, as this is how you use a mower) for many summers to come.
In addition, it makes a great gift for the gardeners in your life.
- Height adjustable
- Sold with 2 lithium batteries of 40 volts max.
- Folding handle offers a simple storage solution
- 9.5 gallon grass container
- BrandBLACK + DECKER
- Device weight48.8 pounds
- Dimensions30.1 x 21.1 x 18 inches
- Excellent mower for small gardens
- Silent and easy to start
- Light and easy to push
- The small bridge and the bag mean that you need several passes.
- Stalls if the grass is too wet
- Rear bagging only
8. Cordless lawn mower Snapper XD
Our premium selection for the best cordless mower is Snapper’s powerful 82-volt machine that comes with a quick charge to keep it juicy all summer long.
It provides the rugged power of a lawn mower, but without the need for refills and oil spills, while being lightweight and easy to handle.
It’s a cordless self-propelled lawn mower that does the hard work for you when you take a walk in the yard while the Snapper XD mows using intelligent load sensing technology.
Sure, it’s on the price side, but that’s what you get when you pay for the quality and strive to become the envy of every white shirt, khaki pants and socks and sandals wearing daddy in the neighborhood.
To make housekeeping even easier, be sure to also check out our top picks for ride-on lawn mowers.
- As long as 45 minutes of autonomy with an 82-volt lithium-ion battery.
- Smart and efficient load sensing technology
- Push to start function
- 7-position cutting height adjustment
- Device weight90 pounds
- Dimensions35 x 24.2 x 18.3 inches
- Fast charging time
- Long lasting batteries to complete the whole yard
- Very quiet operation
- Subject to fouling when mowing wet grass
- No low battery indicator
- Difficult to turn in self-propelled mode
9. Sun Joe Cordless Brushless Motor Lawn Mower
The Sun Joe Brushless Mower is our choice for the best cordless lawn mower available in terms of value.
Its hybrid technology makes it one of the most innovative mowers on the market and will save you a lot of money on your electricity bills in the coming summers, which is always a good thing.
While it may not be able to complete huge yards on a single charge, it is still powerful enough to prune smaller yards to the perfection of the Homeowners’ Association.
It features an easy start / stop button and a compact design that allows for easy storage when not in use. This mower is simply a nice piece of equipment that will make you regret the summer all the time, and might even consider moving somewhere that is a reality, just so that you have an excuse to use it as often as possible .
To prepare your lawn for mowing, use one of the leaf blowers on our list.
- Brushless motor increases battery efficiency
- Compact design perfect for medium-sized lawns
- Multiple height adjustment
- Two cutting options
- BrandSun Joe
- Device weight33 pounds
- Dimensions48.4 x 17.7 x 42.9 inches
- Excellent value
- The bag has a large mouth and does not clog.
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Not self-propelled
- Difficult to maneuver
- Don’t shred
10. Ryobi Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower
With a battery and charger, you can finally mow your lawn in the blink of an eye, because you had sworn you would get there. On a single charge, you will get 3 separate mowers with perhaps the quietest mower ever created (almost as if your white noise machine is on).
You can listen to music and hear any calls that may go on during as you mow (and ignore them, of course, you’re busy).Despite the abandonment of traditional gasoline, the Ryobi mower still provides enough power to feel like a gasoline mower, without any feeling of guilt.
There are also little lighthouses that will transform you into a strange midnight mower whose local children will tell you scary stories for years, but with such an intact courtyard, you won’t care. You may also be interested in our selection of the best trimmers, so take a look.
- Runs like a gas engine and runs entirely on electricity
- Intelligent motor with length detection technology
- When extra power is not needed, you will save battery life.
- Possibility of shredding or bagging for your ideal cut
- Device weight67.6 pounds
- Dimensions19.9 x 40.7 x 22.7 inches
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Decent battery life
- Mower increases speed for thicker lawn
- Unable to cut more than a quarter of an acre
- The efficiency of grinding is affected by variations in rotational speed.
- Requires additional batteries
11. Worx 14 inch 40 Volt Cordless Lawn Mower
Our penultimate mower is equipped with patented IntelliCut technology which evaluates and analyzes your lawn and strives to save energy for the most difficult parts of the yard.
This feature is extremely useful, even for smaller lawns, as it helps reduce the loads between mowing, which means you can go straight in when the grass becomes even half an inch too tall.
Worx 14-Inch is a light and compact mower that can be easily transported and stored without causing obstruction, and its foam handle provides a very comfortable mowing experience.
For your convenience, there is a battery level indicator on both batteries and on the mower itself, so you can always be sure how much juice you have left. If you like to take care of your lawn, be sure to also check out our guide to the best smart watering systems.
- Patented IntelliCut technology delivers energy on demand and saves battery when you really need it.
- Padded foam handles for a comfortable grip
- Single lever adjustment between 3 digging heights
- Cuts up to 5,000 square feet in one charge
- Device weight33 pounds
- Dimensions53 x 14.5 x 39 inches
- Easy to assemble without tools
- Two 20 volt batteries included
- Lightweight and compact design
- The battery does not last long enough for some meters.
- Sometimes will miss parts of the lawn
- Small blade size
12. DEWALT 2 x 20 Volt Cordless battery Cordless lawn mower
With two batteries, the DEWALT battery mower is robust, waterproof and powerful enough to tackle the most overgrown areas.
It is well built, with a sturdy and easy-to-adjust metal tray and rock-solid wheels that can easily cross the most uneven terrain, while the movable handle allows you to adapt it to your size or that of your children for comfortable mowing.
The only real problem with it is the battery which is not as good as the others on this list. If you need a mower that provides excellent power and doesn’t care too much about battery life, like you don’t have a massive lawn or you don’t master it, then this is.
it is the mower for you. If not, then there are many other options in this list that you can explore.
- Powerful brushless motor with two batteries working together for high efficiency
- 3-in-1 rear shredding / bagging / ejection
- 20-inch heavy-duty metal tray
- Single level height adjustment between 1.5 and 3.4 inches
- Device weight74 pounds
- Dimensions48 x 22 x 20 inches
- Bridge adjustment is extremely simple
- Movable handle to adapt to your size
- Lots of power
- Low battery life
- No side discharge option
- Too noisy compared to other electric mowers
What is a manual mower?
The manual mower is a device used to mow the lawn and green surfaces, in order to make them more pleasant to see, by giving them a better height . It has recently seen renewed interest from users who have abandoned it in the past.
The hand mower is a device equipped with a cutting cylinder with helical blades and a counter blade. The blades of the manual mower delicately cut the blades of grass, like scissors, and give them an interesting height .
This means that with the manual helical mower , cutting grass , sports grounds, parks, green areas, gardens and other spaces is more aesthetic.
The rendering offered by the cut made with a manual mower is fairer and more successful, the blades being particularly well sharpened and very precise.
How does the manual lawn mower work?
Having used it, I can tell you that the manual mower has a fairly simple mode of operation. The cutting cylinder with helical blades is driven by the wheels of the hand mower. The energy used by the manual lawn mower is recovered by a sprocket or chain system, causing the cutting cylinder of the cylinder mower to rotate.
The objective of using the helical mower is to mow and obtain lawn surfaces that are pleasant to see, and whose height seduces and commands admiration.
To choose your manual lawn mower, I advise you to take certain criteria into account.
From experience, I have considered them very important. What are they then? It is essentially about the robustness, the ease of mowing offered by the hand mower, but also other modalities no less important.
I will tell you below, the details to consider when choosing your cylinder mower.
How to choose a manual mower ?
As I said before, several criteria are taken into account to choose your manual lawn mower. They incorporate different methods, which nevertheless retain a common interest: contributing to the proper functioning of the manual mower.
So, to choose a manual mower, from my experiences, I advise you to already consider the surface to be mowed . Indeed, the manual lawn mower is recommended for mowing a lawn area not exceeding 600 m².
Although having precise blades and offering an efficient mowing possibility, the use of the manual mower can be physically demanding in the long term. It is therefore important to refer to the surface to be ideally mowed .
Certain models of manual lawn mower are fitted with wheels on ball bearings which make their movement easier. These are therefore criteria to be considered also when choosing it.
The cutting width is an essential criterion for choosing a cylinder mower. If the area to be mowed is large, it is recommended to choose a manual mower model with a cutting width of more than 40 cm.
The hand mower can then in these conditions mow a large area with each pass, and save you time.
The cutting height is also taken into account when choosing a manual mower model . The lawn must be well cut so as to obtain a height which is attractive to the view. Depending on the model, you can adjust the cutting height yourself .
Finally, the number of blades must also be taken into account . This is a special feature of the helical mower. The more blades the hand mower has , the greater the number of cuts per pass. The number of blades ensures a lawn at regular height , dense and aesthetic .
But what are the advantages of the manual mower ? ?
The hand mower has an ecological and environmentally friendly side which makes it a product of first choice. This is a detail that motivated my choice and for which I did not hesitate to bet on the cylinder mower .
The hand mower does not consume fuel or electricity, and does not release any combustion gases into the ecosystem. The ecological impact of the cylinder mower is therefore zero, since the absence of an engine eliminates air pollution and noise pollution.
In addition, when purchased , the helical mower is economical and offers a long service life. Its maintenance is simple and is generally characterized by cleaning the cylinder mower itself, and an inspection of the blades.
The manual lawn mower also offers other advantages such as:
– the quality of the cut thanks to the proposed heights ,
– an evolution in cylinder drive technology,
– adaptation to mowing surfaces,
– ease of use,
– its silent side.
You agree with me that with so many advantages, my choice to opt for the manual lawn mower was wise, right? I noticed over time that the efficiency of the hand mower , and therefore its ability to mow , also depended on the shape of the blades , which sometimes need to be sharpened.
How to sharpen a manual mower blade?
To sharpen the blades of a helical mower , it is essential that the manual mower is in the stop position. It is also imperative to wear thick gloves and protective glasses while sharpening the blades of the manual lawn mower .
The second step in sharpening the blades of the manual lawn mower is to put the mower on its side with the carburetor up, to facilitate access to the blades . Then orient the position towards the bottom of the blade .
Like most owners, I made the mistake of putting the blade upside down when I was sharpening it. However, in this position, whatever its cutting edge, the blade will not be able to cut the grass; hence the interest in orienting it downwards.
Once the blades have been oriented downwards, they must be locked, unscrew the nuts, and get rid of rust and blades of grass. Finally, put the blade of the manual mower on a workbench and sharpen it with a file.
How was the test carried out?
I carried out the selection test of my mowing machine at home, in my garden, shortly before a meal with friends. So, with the help of mine, I took into account a certain number of criteria in order to make a choice of manual mower that met my expectations.
Above all, I bet on the grip offered by the hand helical mower . During the comparative test, I also considered the robustness of the device, its ability to mow a large area in one pass.
Also, to make my comparative test of a hand-held mower perfect, I tried several versions, in order to appreciate different sensations.
The quality and cutting height are also details that I took into account, so that my choice of manual lawn mower lived up to my expectations.
More simply, what are the important criteria to take into account?
What are the important criteria for choosing a hand mower ?
They essentially boil down to the ability of the manual mower to mow large areas in record time.
Added to this is the simplicity of use, the robustness of the mowing machine , and the guarantee offered to me by the seller.
I did not fail to appreciate also the quiet side of the manual mower .