Choosing a value for a money microwave isn’t easy especially for college dorms. Space consumption and efficiency is the biggest factor in choosing the right one. I know the first few months of living in college dorms are overwhelming for many of us. Back in my college days, I had little time for making food. Thankfully my microwave gave me extra time to spend on other important chores.
From my personal experience, I rank Amazon Microwave the best microwaves for college dorms. Although Panasonic Microwave seems perfect for all aspects. Amazon Microwave is recommended for lite users and Panasonic Microwave is recommended for a bit heavy user.
Best Microwaves For College Dorms
1. AmazonBasics Microwave bundle with Echo Dot
For many reasons, we choose Amazon Microwave on the top of our favorite list. We mentioned it as the Best Value for Money Microwave for College Dorm. Amazon Microwave comes with Amazon Echo. Amazon Echo will help you to control your microwave efficiently.
University students are always short of time. They spend a large part of their day in the classroom and in the library. So you have to choose a microwave that is small in size but capable of cooking all your daily meals in a short time.
You can heat your vegetable, rice, or other food in a very short time by taking the name of the food from the fridge. The most interesting thing is that you can turn on your microwave with voice commands.
2. Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN686S Stainless Steel
3. Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven with Sound On/Off ECO Mode
4. Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SD372S Stainless Steel Countertop
5. Toshiba EM131A5C-BS Microwave Oven with Smart Sensor
6. Farberware FMO11AHTPLB 1.1 Cu. Ft. 1000-Watt Microwave Oven with LED Lighting
7. Panasonic NN-SB458S Compact Microwave Oven
8. RCA RMW733 0.7 Cu. Ft. Microwave, White, Black
9. Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN966S Stainless Steel Countertop
10. Danby Designer 0.7 cu.ft. Countertop Microwave, Black/Stainless Steel
A microwave: What is it exactly?
It is true that we all know what a microwave s is, but it remains very useful to grant a clear definition with more details.
The microwave is a household appliance that is used for cooking, defrosting or heating food according to user needs.
It is a kind of modern ovens or multicooker which is powered by electricity to diffuse the necessary electromagnetic waves according to the degree of temperature and the duration of use.
Invented in 1947 , the microwave has undergone several modifications on its structure, its composition and also on its design in order to simplify its use and improve its options.
Today, this appliance is available on the appliance market and online sales sites in various models and versions with interesting options and a meticulous and efficient adjustment program offering different cooking modes to obtain dishes quickly and properly cooked while controlling energy consumption.
Why buy a microwave?
The microwave has a large number of strengths compared to ordinary ovens but also compared to current changes in lifestyles that are moving towards everything that is fast and simple.
The microwave perfectly meets these requirements, and offers:
- Quick cooking: Your favorite dishes and recipes will be served in a minimal time. The microwave is even faster if we only want to defrost or reheat a preparation. It is therefore a time saver that is greatly appreciated by the employees.
- In addition to speed , the microwave oven offers a multitude of cooking possibilities: warming, cakes, pizza, chicken …, are some examples of dishes and preparations that can be prepared with a microwave.
- The microwave oven is also ideal for studios and second homes, and is a good alternative for equipping your kitchen with a small but versatile oven.
- The design of the microwave oven has gone from the classic white color to the trendy touch found in stainless steel, black lacquered or with the mirror effect.
- The microwave oven offers great energy savings compared to a natural convection oven since it heats up faster.
How to use a microwave?
Regarding the use of the microwave:
- Place glass, plastic or ceramic dishes and avoid using metal.
- Cover the food to increase the uniformity of the heating of the dish.
- Watch out for hot walls and use a oven mitt for added safety.
- Place the dish only on the turntable.
- Do not fill the container to the brim to avoid overflowing.
- Always keep a distance between your face and the oven when opening its glass door.
Regarding the installation of the microwave:
- Follow the installation instructions carefully.
- Do not place the device near a water point to avoid damaging the electrical circuit.
- Keep the oven away from heat sources and walls.
- Install the microwave out of the reach of children.
- Do not operate the appliance empty.
- Make sure that the electrical outlet is compatible with the device in terms of voltage.
How to clean the microwave?
The microwave is a device for everyday use. Regular cleaning is therefore necessary to ensure proper operation and optimal longevity of the device. Cleaning the microwave goes through the following steps:
For interior rooms:
- Start by removing the tray and the microwave rack.
- Clean them using a sponge and a soapy product (dish soap for example).
- Rinse these parts with clean water and dry them with a soft cloth.
- If the grill marks are hard and very resistant, you can soak it in a solution of hot water and an oxygen cleaner for an hour before rinsing it.
For glass and seals:
- Run a sponge soaked in soapy water on the inside and outside of the door.
- Similarly, clean the microwave seals.
- Rinse everything with a damp sponge then dry with a clean, dry cloth.
For a perfect cleaning of your microwave, and depending on the degree of dirt and the resistance of the residues, you can use a soapy liquid, white vinegar, household alcohol, baking soda …
It is nevertheless important to carry out regular cleaning from time to time so as not to complicate the mission.
Preparations that can be made in the microwave
You can use a microwave for a wide range of preparations. Here are a few:
How to cook potatoes in the microwave?
Contrary to what many people may think, you can cook an infinite number of recipes in the microwave. We start with the potato recipe.
We will need:
- 3 to 4 potatoes (ideally they would be small)
- Olive oil.
- Salt and pepper.
We start by cleaning the potatoes by washing them and then removing the impurities with a knife. Then, prick the potatoes with a fork on each side so that the steam enters.
We pour a little oil, put salt and pepper at will.
And finally, we put everything in a dish going to the microwave for a period of 5 to 10 minutes until perfect cooking.
You can remove the potatoes when the fork pierces them and the skin is easily removed.
How to cook pasta in the microwave?
One of the easiest missions is to cook pasta in the microwave:
- In a microwave-safe dish, small pasta is poured and then enough water to cook the amount you have used. Pay attention to the cooking of the pasta because if you exceed the ideal cooking time, the pasta will stick and become inedible.
- After cooking, add the ingredients you want: Cheese, butter or tomato sauce.
How to melt soap in the microwave?
You can make soap by melting the leftover grated soap in the microwave with a little water for a few minutes. Then you can add coloring or essential oil according to your taste. You put the mixture in small molds that you have oiled and then in the freezer.
How was the test carried out?
I have selected five efficient microwave models in order to detail their strengths and weaknesses. This is a comparative test that can serve as a very useful buying guide to help you make up your mind .
Important criteria to consider before purchasing a microwave:
There are a number of important criteria to consider before purchasing the best microwave :
- The use for which it will be intended:for leather or just to reheat and defrost, the choice of the best microwave depends mainly on the functions they will be given to it. Thus, you will have the choice of a microwave without or with grill or a combined microwave.
- Cooking functions:programs for leather pizzas, rice fries or pasta.
- Removable turntable: you must check the presence of the turntable more than it ensures a homogeneous cooking. Also, it must be possible to remove, clean or replace it with a rectangular tray.
- Security: thanks to a function locking function for more security.
- Size:choose the size appropriate to the space in which it will be placed in the kitchen but also the dishes that will be cooked there.
- Power: we recommend the lowest power for better cooking that does not dry out the dishes.
- Standard model or built-in oven : depending on the style of the general decor of the kitchen, the microwave oven should harmonize with the decorative aspect of the kitchen.
For the missions of defrosting and reheating dishes and drinks, or even cooking and roasting, the microwave is the ideal appliance.
Not only does it do the job in a few minutes but it does it without risk and without having to change utensils.
Time is extremely valuable, especially when you are living in a college dorm. A college dorm is such a place where every minute of break is counted.
For my part, I find Panasonic Microwave is the best microwaves for college dorms among these ten because of its simplicity and quality of manufacture.
The Amazon oven is, in my opinion, the model with the best value for money.