How To Grow A Cabbage And Cultivate It
Cabbage is a cool-weather crop. Grow cabbage in spring so that it comes to harvest before the summer heat or start cabbage in mid to late summer so that it comes to harvest during the cool days of autumn, winter, or early spring.
Cauliflower contains vitamins A, B1, B2 C, and E, as well as calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. Like broccoli, cauliflower requires regular watering.
How To Grow A Cabbage And Cultivate It
Latin name: Brassica oleracea var. botryris L.
Type of plant: leaf vegetable
Sowing: February to April or mid-April to mid-July
Planting: April to August
Spacing: 70 x 70 cm
Lifting time: – underframe, 4 or 5 days – in the ground, 5 to 10 days
Harvest: April to June or August to November
Soil: rich in organic matter, fertile
You may also like: Best Lawn Mower For Small Yard
A year in the garden: Cauliflower
When to sow, plant and harvest cauliflower
|Cauliflower||Spring cauliflower||Autumn cauliflower|
|variety||‘Wonder of any season’|
|Sowing and planting||February to April||Mid-April to mid-July|
|Planting distance||60 x 60 cm||60 x 60 cm|
|Harvest||April to June||August to November|
Sowing And Planting Cabbage
Cabbages exist in multiple forms and varieties and require varying growing conditions and periods. Here’s how to do it for culture:
* Cabbage: The sowing of this variety of cabbage is done in late winter or early spring in the nursery. Smooth cabbage can be planted earlier than kale. It can be sown from February / March in the nursery and on the fly. It is also possible to sow in the open ground in March / April under a tunnel or chassis. As soon as the first leaves appear, transplanting can be done in the open ground from February to August.
* Cauliflower: growing this variety takes much longer since it takes almost 7 months between sowing and harvesting. To grow cauliflower, sowing must be done in March or April to hope to harvest in the fall. Sowing in May in the open ground allows harvesting during the winter.
Also Read: How to grow zucchini in pots?
* Brussels sprouts: as far as this variety is concerned, it is most often grown in late winter or spring under shelter. It is quite possible to start in the nursery from March, so that transplanting can be done as early as May. Planting generally takes place in May / June.
* Broccoli: how to grow broccoli cabbage? It is necessary to sow from March under shelter, to hope to harvest between August and September. When sowing directly in the ground, it is better to wait until the risk of frost is eliminated. In other words, sow in May or June.
How to Sow Cabbage?
In general, the cultivation of cabbage must be done under a cold frame or in a box inside a cold greenhouse. This saves time, by starting crops as soon as possible, while the cold is raging outside. Since cultivation is done undercover, there is no risk of cabbage being attacked by slugs or other pests. Frost and hail are not likely to harm crops either. As a result, you can more easily ensure the harmonious growth of seedlings.
You may like: When To Prune Shrubs And Trees?
Place a bed of gravel at the bottom of the box, so that drainage is easy and the seeds are not likely to rot due to humidity. Above, it is possible to have a mixture consisting of equal amounts of potting soil, compost. and sand. Spread the seeds sparingly, tamp and cover the substrate as thinly as possible. Most importantly, make sure that the seeds do not go too deep into the soil. Then spray water over it as a sprinkler.
Cabbage Care And Harvest
To grow sprouts properly, the plants should be cared for properly. As soon as you notice the appearance of 3 or 4 leaves, it is necessary to transplant in place, taking care to protect the crop. This is very important if the operation is to take place before May. You must transplant every 40 cm: this is the space that the plants need to develop properly. Transplanting must be done in well-plowed soil. Watering should be as regular as possible while remaining moderate in a fine rain in order to maintain an optimal humidity level.
As for the cabbage harvest, it all depends on the variety. Here are the essentials to remember regarding this subject:
* Cabbage, whether curly or smooth, be aware that its cultivation can extend over many months. It also depends on the variables considered. Some may already be harvested 2 months after sowing, while others will require almost 7 months. You have to wait until the size of the heart is comparable to the size of a beautiful apple before harvesting.
* Brussels sprouts: the harvest is done as the main stem rises. Simply crack the sprouts that grow sideways when you need them.
* Cauliflower: its harvest is done throughout the year according to the sowing periods. It is necessary to wait until the head is quite firm before proceeding to cut close to the ground.
* Broccoli cabbage: it is recommended to harvest this variety when the main head is perfectly formed and sufficiently compact. Cut about 5 cm below the head so that the broccoli can continue to grow.
Chinese cabbage: the best time to harvest it is in the fall. However, harvesting can also take place in winter if the weather conditions are favorable. You have to cut the apple flush with a sharp blade.
Here’s how to plant and grow cabbage for good results.